An explosion in the early morning hours rocked the Greenwood neighborhood Wednesday, injuring nine Seattle firefighters and leveling several businesses.
Mr. Gyros, Neptune Coffee and Greenwood Quick Stop at 85th and Greenwood were destroyed by the explosion and dozens of businesses had windows blown out and other damage, and fire broke out in several spots. About 70 firefighters responded to the scene, according to the Seattle Fire Department.
Firefighters had been called to the scene to investigate a report of a natural gas leak just after 1 a.m., according to the Seattle Fire Department. At the time of the explosion, firefighters already had evacuated nearby apartment buildings and had been awaiting the arrival of crews from Puget Sound Energy, Fire Chief Harold Scoggins told reporters on Wednesday. None of the buildings that collapsed were residential buildings, and no one was reported to be inside, Scoggins said.
The PhinneyWood blog reports that several fundraisers have been set up for the affected businesses and their employees. A GoFundMe page set up for the businesses has already raised $16,000 of its $20,000 goal and Naked City Brewery will hold a fundraiser for the neighborhood all day Thursday.
The injured firefighters were treated and released from Harborview Medical Center, according to the Seattle Fire Department. The investigation is ongoing.