- This event has passed.
Civic Boot Camp: Civil Rights, Then & Now, Oct. 19th
Oct 19, 2018 @ 9:00 am - 3:30 pm$250
Discover How Civil Rights History Has Shaped the Present
Explore the legacy of the civil rights movement in the Central District and learn how you can exercise your civil rights today.
Register for October 5th.
- $250 – Single ticket (includes breakfast and afternoon snacks and full lunch)
- To encourage connections across political, cultural and economic boundaries, Seattle CityClub provides scholarships for up to 20% of the participants in each Civic Boot Camp session. Apply today!
What You’ll Do
- Listen to presentations about Seattle’s civil rights history.
- Walking tour highlighting historic landmarks, local services and projects.
- Participate in discussions with local leaders about current civil rights issues in the Central District.
- Attend workshops/group discussions related to civil rights and communicating across differences.
You’ll Hear From
- Dr. Rev. Phyllis Beaumonte, Pastor, Mount Zion Baptist Church
- Elmer Dixon, Founder, The Black Panther Party for Self Defense (Seattle Chapter)
- Dr. Sheila Edwards Lange, President, Seattle Central College
- Kibibi Monie, Storyteller, 4Culture
- Nikkita Oliver, Community Organizer
About Civic Boot Camp
Civic Boot Camp is an immersive, full-day program designed to give participants the tools to take action in the community. You’ll have the opportunity to:
- Connect with local leaders
- Network with professionals from all sectors
- Learn about our region’s history
- Learn about local solutions
- Take action towards increasing the civic health of the region
Civic Boot Camp Lead Scholarship Sponsor
Civic Boot Camp Scholarship Sponsors
Calendar event posts are submitted by members of the public and/or by organizations unaffiliated with The Seattle Globalist. Questions about individual events, postings and images used in calendar items should be directed toward the event organizers, who are responsible for the content.