- This event has passed.
Self Defense 101 for Women
Feb 5, 2018 @ 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm$169
6 Mondays | 2/5/18 – 3/19/18 | 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM
Research shows that women who have successfully defended themselves quickly recognized threatening situations and enforced their boundaries, and using physical means if necessary.
During this comprehensive self-defense course, you will:
- Learn to recognize assailant ploys and manipulations and how to thwart them
- Practice releases from common grabs and decisive strikes to vital targets
- Use your voice and body language with impact
- Recognize the signs that will let you defuse, deescalate or evade before a physical assault ever happens
- Assess your risks, and plan around them
- Understand the connections between awareness, threats and our media environment
This is a progressive skill-building course: You will learn the most basic elements early on, and practice them in later drills. In between each session, you’ll have time to practice your moves and become more comfortable with them.
The first sessions will focus more on physical skills: strikes to vulnerable targets, releases from grabs, body language, and using your voice. Later sessions will put your new skills in various contexts, look more at setting boundaries, and different verbal strategies to control uncomfortable situations. Finally, you will learn to recognize domestic violence, and how to get help if you (or someone you know) are in an abusive relationship.
Each class is complemented by extra enrichment activities (some call it “homework”) — what you get out of your time in class will be greatly enhanced by just a small amount of time spent practicing between classes.
Come prepared to challenge yourself!
Calendar event posts are submitted by members of the public and/or by organizations unaffiliated with The Seattle Globalist. Questions about individual events, postings and images used in calendar items should be directed toward the event organizers, who are responsible for the content.